Effluent Database for Nuclear Power Plants

What kinds of data are in this database?

This database contains annual effluent data submitted to the NRC as part of a licensee’s annual effluent release report. Data includes radionuclide activity released through liquid and gaseous effluents, volumes of liquid released from the site, and the dose calculated to nearby residents as a result of these effluent releases. The Reporting Licensees by Year lists licensees with data in the NRC Effluent Database, by year selected.

Currently the database consists of complete datasets for all NPPs beginning in 2001. Data from previous years has been entered for some NPPs.

How is the data entered into the database?

The NRC receives an annual effluent release report from each NPP in accordance with requirements outlined in 10 CFR 50.36a(a)(2), under the guidance of Regulatory Guide (RG) 1.21.

A database was developed based on the guidance provided in RG 1.21. Data from the effluent release reports were manually entered into the database, followed by a QA/QC review.

The data submitted in the effluent release reports does not always conform to the format specified in RG 1.21. In these instances changes to the data may need to be made. A list of modifications that may be made includes:

  • The database presents results within three significant figures. In instances where a plant reported more significant figures, the number was rounded to the third significant figure to be consistent throughout the report without affecting the acceptable accuracy of the data. For example, a plant reports a gaseous release of 6.101E-06 Ci of Iodine-131 in the 4th quarter. This value would be rounded to 6.10E-06 Ci.
  • The symbol “NR” (Not Reported) is used to indicate that the licensee did not report specific data.
  • The symbol “ND” (Not Detected) is used to indicate that no measurable amount was found. Many reports use the symbols LLD or MDA.

How do I navigate the database?

The Reports tab in the navigation bar contains options for selecting and reviewing data for specified licensees and years contained in the database.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

If you are from a specific NPP and find an error, please contact your NRC Project Manager and direct them to contact the Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation Effluent Data Manager. All other questions should be directed to the Office of Public Affairs (see Contact Us).

I don't understand all of the terminology, do you have a glossary?

A glossary of abbreviations and other common terms used throughout this database can be found here.